Monday, February 13, 2006

On Sunday, I decided it would be fun to check out the men's halfpipe snowboarding competition. After a bus, a train and another bus, I managed to sneak into the venue. Evidently, the volunteers trained to keep out those who either did not purchase a ticket, like myself, or who did not have the proper journalist or photographer pass, also like myself, had not been trained on what a "support personnel" pass looked like. I walked right up to the first gate thinking I'd traveled that far, I wasn't going back down that mountain without getting kicked out of the venue first. Well, they let me in. Wow. At this point I figure I'm clear, until I realize I have to get through a security checkpoint and two more gates. Amazingly enough I didn't let my fear of getting caught transpire and I just watched as they waved me through. After a few days of getting turned away from venues and restricted press areas, I figured this was too good to be true, but I pushed my luck just a little further and climbed into the photographers' pen. They kicked me out of there. So, I shoot the qualifications for the men's halfpipe final and then we get an hour break before the final starts. Hunger has kicked in at this point, but the fear of leaving my privileged position and losing it for the final is stronger than any hunger pain. Just when I have come to terms with the fact that I can wait until dinner, I spot a friend. Yes, I still have friends here in Torino, friends with connections. Thanks to this friend, nobody could turn me away because I had a All Access card. Beautiful day, the Alps, the Flying Tomato and total access, what more could a photographer ask for?

U.S. snowboarder Shaun White is followed by photographers after winning the gold in Sunday's men's halfpipe at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Bardonecchia, Italy.

U.S. snowboarder Shaun White competes in the second round of qualifications for the men's halfpipe event at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Bardonecchia, Italy.

With a sure gold win awaiting him at the bottom of the halfpipe, U.S. snowboarder Shaun White has a little fun in the last run of the men's halfpipe final on Sunday.

U.S. fans cheer on their athletes during the second qualification round for the men's halfpipe event at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Bardonecchia, Italy.

U.S. snowboarder Mason Aguirre waits for his results after his second run in the men's halfpipe final in Bardonecchia, Italy.

celebrating the gold.

U.S. snowboarder Mason Aguirre flies high during the men's halfpipe final in Bardonecchia, Italy, on Sunday.